Tuesday, June 8, 2010

For The Birds


When I came home this afternoon, I saw a bit of movement out of the corner of my eye.  Hiding next to the tire of Dave's pick-up was a young bird that didn't appear to have figured out flying just yet.

I was worried about it not having chosen a very safe hiding spot. I also had the selfish thought to go get my camera since birds are usually pretty hard to get very close to. So I got the camera. My plan was to prod the bird to a safer area. I didn't want to touch is because I didn't want to get all "bird-y" and I didn't want to get it all "human-y".  I remember my mother telling me that if I ever found a bird nest to never touch the birds because then the birds would smell like people and the mother would reject them. I don't know if this is true or not because she also added, "and birds carry lice."  I figured if a mother bird would reject her baby for smelling like a stinky human then a young, perhaps teenager bird, would surely be bullied and rejected by its peers for such an offense.  I decided on the next stupidest strategy, which was poke it (ever so gently, of course) with a stick.


The bird did not like this plan and let me know about it in no uncertain terms. The lecture continued for a while. 



After the lecture, the bird hopped away under the pine trees; so the stick plan actually produced the desired results.  This was a much better hiding place and the bird promptly disguised itself as a pine cone. 

After taking the picture above, mother nature got her revenge for the stick poking. I lost my balance and fell. I had to fall all cattywampus (if you read my blog the other day, you know that I am smiling a big smile right now because I got to use "cattywampus" in a fitting sentence) so as not to smash the bird I was trying to save. Thank goodness no one had a camera focused on me. Still it was okay because I wasn't hurt and I was down at bird's eye level to take one last picture. 


Good luck little birdie....I hope you make it.

4 comments:

  1. We LOVED this post! What a funny story! Our favorite picture is the one after you poked the bird with a stick, we had a good laugh! I am sorry you fell but you got some GREAT pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had baby birds in our yard today. I think they are killdeer. I didn't get too close as Mama Bird made me well aware that she was watching. Glad that you got pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite is the 2nd to last. It looks like it really wants to tell you off.How adorable that you got so close to take those pics. I'm jealous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!

    The inside of his/her beak is astounding. Now I want to poke fledglings with sticks to get them to yell at me.

    ReplyDelete