Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Stranger Friend

Driving home from the store I passed my stranger friend on the road.  I haven't seen him since school let out so I was glad to pass by him again. I have no idea who this guy is.I have never waved at him or he at me. I have never seen him any place else, just on the road.  He is a total stranger except that every day during the school year for the past three years, I passed him going the other direction as I drove to work. He drives a shiny black car with a big silver grill. If I knew anything about cars I would know the make and model, but all I know is shiny black sedan, silver grill.  He has dark hair and a beard and often wears sunglasses. One time he shaved his beard which was an interesting diversion in my morning routine.
I think what intrigues me about him has been the consistency of seeing him everyday.  I pass other people but it varies from day to day, except for him. It's odd to think that we were both entrenched in our own routines that had nothing to do with the other but in some way were so similar that we met every morning on Dodson road between roads seven and nine. Every weekday for three years.
Today everything was backwards or opposite. It was evening, he was going north and I was going south.  He must have been going home from where ever he would go when he went south and I went north.  Most likely he goes to a job that does not have the summer off, not a teacher.  I doubt I will ever know any more about him and I don't really want to. He is just my stranger friend.
My son rides a bus to work in Seattle. He talked once about how he sees the same people everyday but doesn't know them. Once he was gone for a few days and one of these people that he doesn't know and who doesn't know him, asked him if he had been sick. I think that was nice of his stranger friend.

1 comment:

  1. When I went for my radiation treatments in Wenatchee I had am 8:30am appointment 5 days a week for 7 weeks. I drove myself and would go down road 5. Everyday somewhere between, I'd say, Adams Rd. and the Quincy-George highway, I would pass this woman in a car probably, I assumed, on her way to work. After a couple of weeks we began waving at each other. Then one day my treatments ended. I often wondered if she ever wondered what happened to me.

    ReplyDelete