Friday, August 27, 2010

Pilgrim's Progress

I am making some progress in my personal pilgrimage to master (and by that I really mean to not fail miserably at) some of the homemaking skills that have managed to elude me all these many years. It has been a constant frustration, a stone in my shoe, that these things that seem to come so naturally to so many are a puzzle to me.
 Happily, today I can report a bit of progress.  I tried another recipe for whole wheat bread and I tried really hard to follow the directions. I got the recipe from a friend's blog, Jane Payne.  Jane is younger than I am but she is one of those people that makes me think, "I'd like to be like her when I grow up." Here is the link to her blog. http://neighborjanepayne.blogspot.com/  I got the recipe for the bread by following the "homekeeping" link in the right side column and then going to "recipes"  It's a great blog with lots of things to explore.
Below is a picture of the bread that I made today. It is a little bumpy, not blue ribbon at the fair bread, but it meets the criteria of not being a total failure.

I am somewhat encouraged, but not totally convinced that my semi success was not just a fluke. Like any good science experiment, it has to be able to be replicated to be reputable. We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Sylvia!! I'm impressed. I've always had trouble w/making homemade bread. Probably because I don't make it very much.
    I'll check out your friends blog.

    ReplyDelete