Sunday, May 8, 2011

Water, Please. No, Make that a Diet Coke.

First a note about the previous post.  The title was supposed to be No Good Deed Goes Unpunished, not DO Good Deed Goes Unpunished.  I think my readers (two friends and my kids :), were too kind to point out the error.  However, it made me think that if  I had added a comma and had the title Do Good Deed, Goes Unpunished  that the meaning would have been exactly opposite. I would have perhaps actually succeeded at doing a good deed and not being punished.  Oh, the perils of language and punctuation.

Now on to my water situation.
I had a lovely dinner with my daughter, Rachel at a nice Italian place in Yakima called Gepetto's Italian Bistro. The atmosphere was nice. The waitstaff was attentive. The other diners ranged from those dressed casually, like ourselves, to a cute high school couple dressed formally for Prom. It wasn't the sort of place that made you feel obliged to dress up, but it did have a bit of a sophisticated feel to it.

 I ordered cappelini pommodoro with a reduced balsamic sauce and charred chicken breast.  It was really good. We were having a great time.
While I am not a social idiot, I am not a debutante. I've been known to embarrass my children in public. Rachel had just jokingly pointed out that I had so far managed to eat a somewhat tricky food (long noodles) without spilling anything on my ample chest, as I am prone to do, when I once again fell victim to my own foolishness.
My water tasted like cucumbers. I called over the waitress and asked her if my water intentionally tasted like cucumbers.  She cheerfully replied, that they add lemons and cucumber to the water and that while most people find it refreshing, she would gladly get me some plain water.
My mind rushed through the thought that I was obviously lacking in my understanding of  sophisticated water treatments but on the other hand my water was past just refreshing.  It tasted like cucumber juice. I asked for plain water.  On the first sip of water I had a whole new perspective on the lemon/cucumber water.  The tap water tasted like a swimming pool.  In fact, I could smell the chlorine before I even tasted the water. I didn't cough or spit or even call back the waitress, in order not to embarrass Rachel. ( I don't worry much about embarrassing myself, I'm used to it.)  I decided to just live with it and console myself with the thought that my water was undoubtedly  germ free.
Still, I really liked Geppetto's. I'd like to go back and try some of the other dishes on the menu. However, in the future, I will spring for the Diet Coke.

No comments:

Post a Comment