Monday, March 26, 2012

March Photo A Day- Weekend Catch up- Animal and Breakfast

Animal- Saturday we had to deal with a metaphorical animal. Spring work around here always seems to involve fire, which always worries me. I don't like the unpredictability and power of fire. In fact, I am known as a bit of a spoil sport on the 4th of July because of the whole blowing things up and lighting things on fire component of the holiday.  On Saturday the animal got away from us.  I looked out the window because I heard the most unusually hissing sound. I saw flames going about half way up one of  the 30 foot tall arborvitae trees. I yelled at Dave to call the fire dept. and he said no, we can handle it. He went and got a garden hose! I was not a happy camper. I soaked a couple of large bath towels and ran out to help.  I wish I had a picture at the high point when four trees were burning, but I was a little busy at the time.
Ultimately we did control it ourselves. Perhaps being in a rural area, the fire trucks wouldn't have arrived until the excitement was over but I still would have felt better had we called. As my daughter said, IF there is ever a fire again, just call them. They have bigger hoses.
I remember a scene from a movie that shows a woman trying to beat out a huge fire in a wheat field with wet burlap sacks. I felt like that. Still, all is well that ends well.
                                                                                                                                                                                           




On Sunday the Photo Challenge was Breakfast.  That was easy! Once a month, members of the LDS Church are encouraged to fast for two meals. It's good for body and soul.  It gives a person an opportunity to focus on spiritual things. Members also usually give a fast offering (a monitary contribution that goes to help the needy) in conjunction with their fast. It makes an empty plate a symbol of bounty.  

PS. I got the sea horse plate for my grandchildren to use, but I like to use it myself. It's so cheery!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment