Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March Photo A Day-Key

Quick Note- I am behind by a couple of days. Quick Analysis-What else is new?
I am not going to do the "your name" day. It's not that interesting to me so it's an easy one to skip in order to get back on track. Yesterday's photo directive was-key. I've had many keys. They come and go along with the things that they lock and unlock.  I have one very special key.
 I have had it for over 30 years. It is the key to a hotel in Paris. We went to Paris for our honeymoon. I thought the hotel was run down and a bit scary. Dave thought it was authentic.  The skeleton key was to our room and the newer looking key was to the bathroom down the hall that we shared with the other four or five guest rooms on the floor. These keys made me feel less than secure. When I was inside the bathroom, I made Dave stand guard outside the door.
I honestly did not intentionally keep this key as a souvenir. It was not one of those accidentally on purpose kind of things. By the time I discovered it, we were too far from Paris to return.
Now, more than 30 years later, I am glad that I have it. It reminds me of the best decision I ever made. Dave and I still differ on things like the definition of scary and authentic, and being lost or on  the scenic route but 30 years of shared experience is nothing to take lightly. Now one knows either of us the way we know each other. He still thinks I am pretty regardless of the clothes or hairstyle I choose, the weight I gain or lose, or the wrinkles that I threaten to have face lifted away. He still likes the food I put on the table, not because it is particularly good but because I made it for him. I am glad he is still the one standing outside the door and making sure things are okay, when life feels less than secure. I don't know the answers to life's questions. I often don't even know the question, but I am pretty sure that love is the key.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post! I had no idea about the keys, what a fun story. I have to say you and Dad are such great examples of a wonderful marriage. I smiled a little because I thought of Michael when you were describing how he likes your cooking because you made it, he must have passed that down to his son because I am pretty sure Michael sees my cooking the same way. Anyway, thank you for sharing this, it's a favorite post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ivy, this is definitely a favorite post of mine too! Very sweet Mom! It makes me wish that I had a cool key to bring home from mine and David's honeymoon, but sadly it was only plastic card. :)

    ReplyDelete