Tuesday, January 5, 2010

West Coast-East Coast Magazines

I like reading magazines. I like real paper magazines. I can't curl up in bed with a lap top and then let it fall to the floor if I dose off.  I feel a little hypocritical about the use of paper (trees) but not yet hypocritical enough to stop this enjoyable pastime.
Two of the magazines I like to read are Seattle Metropolitan and The New Yorker. I've never lived in either city. I haven't even been to New York since I was eight years old (the airport tarmac doesn't count). My eight year old memory is vague. I think I remember the pictures more than the experience. I also have a picture of myself and my Dad at the Empire State Building. It looks like I was two or three years old. I am guessing it is on the tourist viewing deck (I know about the tourist viewing deck because I watched Sleepless in Seattle about a million times). In this picture, my Dad is holding me while I am sitting on a railing that doesn't look like it has that much to protect one from falling. It was of course many years before Michael Jackson hung his child over a railing and there is no hanging over or creepiness about this picture.
Seattle on the other hand is becoming quite familiar to me. I have been there often. Both of my married children were married there. Two of my children and my daughter-in-law attended or currently attend the University of Washington and both of them seem to be making it their home.
As for the magazines. (Are you beginning to understand the title of my blog? Stream of thought and subject jumps are a bad habit)  I love the cartoons in the New Yorker. I know that people smarter than I, say they read it for the articles but people say they read Playboy for the articles too. Surely everyone loves the cartoons. (note: I don't read Playboy or Playgirl or what ever, just making a point).  I enjoy many of the articles, but sometimes get bogged down by them.  I enjoy the reviews but feel bad when I know that I have no way of going to this or that showing of this or that.  Part of what I love about Seattle Metropolitan is that there is hope that I could go to events and restaurants that I see in the reviews. My daughter-in-law (whom I love dearly and would rather just call a daughter, but don't want to cause confusion about who is who or whom is whom) took me too Red Mill after I told her I had read that it had the best hamburgers in the city. I loved my blue cheese burger and was impressed by the giant tower of bacon they have at the ready for their famous bacon burger.
I like the layout and the look of Seattle Met. as well. There is another magazine called Seattle Magazine so you have to be careful not to be confused. Seattle Met has the word SEATTLE in caps and has covers that seem designed much better, to my eye. seattle magazine has chosen an all lower case logo and the covers tend to look a bit like Better Homes and Gardens to me. Be warned and not fooled. This month in Seattle Metropolitan I particularly liked the feature on the last page called "backfence"  It's about a guy on Pike Street who is referred to as the Wizard of Eyes because he will help you pick out the perfect glasses for your face and perhaps change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment